Frequently Asked Questions
To whom can I write?
- With Delta Chat, you can write to users using Delta Chat - or any other existing e-mail-client. This is one of the biggest differences to other messengers: There is no need for the receiver to install the same app as yours.
What are the advantages of Delta Chat compared to other messengers?
- Independent of any company or services. You own your data.
- Your data are not saved on a central server; this way, in contrast to most other messengers, Delta Chat even protect your metadata (who writes to whom?)
- You do not distribute your address book to anyone.
- Fast by the use of Push-IMAP
- Largest userbase - receivers not using Delta Chat can be reached as well
- Compatible - not only to itself
- Elegant and simple user interface
- Distributed system
- No Spam - only messages of known users are shown by default
- Reliable - safe for professional use
- Trustworthy - can even be used for business messages
- fully OpenSource and Standards based
What, if the receiver does not use Delta Chat?
- The receiver will get a normal email then - if he replies to it, you will see the reply in the Delta Chat app.
Which messages do appear in Delta Chat?
Delta Chat automatically shows messages …
- from contacts in you address book
- from contacts contacted by you
- from known contacts of your contacts
Other messages do not appear automatically. You can see the other messages the the main menu at Contact requests and, if desired, start a chat from there.
What about Spam?
- As messages from completely unknown contacts do not pop up automatically, normally, there’s no spam.
- However, if really needed, you can block any contact.
Does Delta Chat support images, videos and other attachments?
- Yes. Beside the plain text, all email-attachments are displayed as separate messages. Outgoing messages will get attachments as needed automatically.
Does Delta Chat support HTML-emails?
- Yes. If incoming email lacks a plain text part, we convert HTML-emails to plain text ourself. Outgoing emails always use plain text.
How can I create a group?
- Select Add group from the “Sandwich menu” in the upper left corner of the chat overview.
- On the following screen, select the group members and hit the checkmark in the upper right corner. After that, you can define a group name.
- As soon as you write the first message in the group, all members are informed about the new group and can answer in the group (as long as you do not write a message in the group the group is invisible to the members).
Who can add members to a group?
- Every group member has the same rights as any other. For this reason every one can delete every member or add new ones.
- To add or delete members, click on the group name in the chat.
I have deleted myself by accident.
- As you’re no longer a group member now, you cannot add yourself again. However, no problem, just ask any other group member in a normal chat to add you again.
I do not want to receive the messages of a group any longer.
- Either delete yourself from the member list or delete the whole chat. If you want to join the group later again, ask another group member to add you again.
- As an alternative, you can also “Mute” a group - doing so, you’ll get all messages and can still write but you’re no longer notified of any new messages.
Does Delta Chat have an end-to-end-encryption?
What do I have to do to activate the end-to-end-encryption?
Delta Chat (and other Autocrypt-compatible email-programs) share the keys required for end-to-end-encryption automatically as the first messages are sent. After this, all subsequent messages are encrypted end-to-end automatically. If, one of the chat partners use an app later that cannot use end-to-end-encryption, it is paused for this time and automatically re-activated as soon as possible.
If you want to deactivate the end-to-end-encryption, use the corresponding setting at “Settings / Advanced settings”.
If end-to-end-encryption is not available, is the connection not encrypted at all?
- No. The normal, email-standard transport encryption is used then.
How can I check the encryption?
Choose “Encryption” from the user’s profile:
For an end-to-end-encryption, Delta Chat show two fingerprints there. If they are the same on the device of your chat partner, the connection is safe.
For transport encryption, this state is just shown there
Which standards are used for end-to-end-encryption.
OpenPGP. Key transport is done via Autocrypt. -
Can I re-use by existing private key?
- Yes. Importing it at “Advanced settings / Manage private keys”. Caution: Make sure, they key is not protected by a password or remove it before.
If you don’t have a key or don’t even know you would need one - don’t worry: Delta Chat generates one as needed, you have to do nothing.
Can I use delta Chat on multiple devices the same time?
If you want to use the same account on different devices, you have to make sure, all devices use the same keys for encryption:
- On the first device, choose “Advanced settings / Manage private keys / Export key to Downloads”
- Via USB, copy the key file from the “Downloads” directory of the first device to the second one.
- On the second device, “Advanced settings / Manage private keys / Import key from Downloads”
All this is not needed for the standard usage of Delta Chat using just one device.
NB: In multi-client mode, incoming messages are shown at once on all clients. Outgoing messages are synced about two times an hour. Maybe we can improve this, but we would need more support on this issue.
- Disroot.org: Select Outbox Security to STARTTLS
- Gmail: Enable “Support less secure apps” and IMAP, you may receive a mail to grant permission